Friday, July 14, 2006

What Would You Do?

Later, the same day...
Mission accomplished. At the surgery center at noon, in the OR at 1:00, back to consciousness and already talking (before I knew it) at 1:37 pm, out of the door at 3:00. I apparently told the room full of people that I "love Dr. [name withheld] but he can be a real pain in the a**"--neither of which is true. I like him quite a lot and have fun with him and he's never been anything but lovely to me. And---he was in the room, aiming a scalpel toward my foot at the time. Next time, its nothing but general anesthesia and intubation for me. Keep that mouth shut. Thank goodness he appears to have taken it very well (which is to say, not at all seriously).

So---crutches, absolutely no weight bearing until Wednesday. Then we'll go to a walking cast and crutches, followed by several weeks of PT. Rob, the darling thoughtful man (about whom I said nothing in my sedated condition), offered the new People mag, and the first seasons of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Weeds" on DVD. I've never seen either and there's a lot of buzz over them (pun mostly intended). I'm good to go with plenty of knitting, reading and childrens' charms. I don't know if I'll get any rest at all, there's so much to amuse me...

And to amuse you---imagine me, hoisting myself stair by stair to my bedroom on my rear since I'm not at all up to navigating the stairs upright on crutches.


"What Would You Do" -- Edie Brickell (Volcano, 2004)


Big day---leaving for the surgery center here in a little bit--I'm very hungry and wanting lots of coffee. I guess this is where unconsciousness starts to be a good thing; won't smell or want food...

Also, Rob's new web hosting account is active and one day will host his Sports Karma website. In honor of the occassion, I've decided to throw up a song real quick just to get some use of the site for a thrill...

I love this Edie Brickell song. The first time I heard it I was absolutely blown away---the desperation and longing is so immediate; you can almost feel it. Plus it reminded me of situations that some of the people I love were finding themselves in. Beautiful and heartbreaking song, it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy - I am glad you are doing well! Thanks for the visual getting up stairs. I like Grey's Anatomy. Hope you enjoy and get some rest. If you need anything, give me a call!