Thursday, December 6, 2007

snowy day...

My profile pic was taken on a very cold day in January last year as Haley and I wandered the sculpture garden at the Baltimore Museum of Visionary Art. I was snapping photos of the many really cool things there and discovered that the reflection in the sculptured egg of mirror and cement actually captured my frame of mind pretty well; a fitting self-portrait. Since we have about three inches of snow on the ground yesterday and today, I've had some help putting the final touches in editing (thanks to Reweselene of Ravelry..) so it looks exactly as it should have:

brrrr. Cold out there. I *LOVE* it!

What's a girl to do?

The girls school was delayed opening by two hours so the usual morning hubub was replaced by sledding---just enough time to have fun and not be too unhappy about getting on the bus and leaving the snow behind. It was nice for me, too, to have them around for a while.

Now they're gone, I've put in the first cd-changer full of Christmas music for the year and I may sit in this wintery sun of my family room till it all plays out. Or I might wrap some presents. Or I might bake some snickerdoodles for the girls when they come home (and also me!). Or I might sit here and knit quietly with beautiful wool, exquisite wooden needles and the many great gifts of my home and family. I hope you all have a beautiful wintery day, too.

Help, maybe?

Each year since 1987 I have bought for myself a new holiday music cd. Its getting more and more difficult to find ones that I can listen to more than once. I'd be very happy for recommendations. Whatcha got for me?

9 comments:

Special K said...

I haven't heard it, but KT Turnstall has an xmas cd - I wonder if it's good? What kind of xmas albums do you like?

KHM said...

hmmm. I like lots of kinds. I love what I have of the Canadian Brass, Vince Guaraldi (sp?), Aaron Neville's album is great if you like that kind of thing. I also love really grand arrangments of the traditional songs and hymns---a swelling organ and strong tenor on O Holy Night will about kill me. I also have enjoyed random stuff by popular artists but usually a whole cd-worth is not so good. But I accept nominations and so far you're 1 for 1 on music with me.... I heard a couple of tracks from a Sarah McLachlan holiday disc and it totally blew---I'd have expected otherwise.

Special K said...

Ugh, I just heard a few tracks from KT - sucks. Oh, I liked a few songs from that Sarah McLaughlin album (wintersong, right?) Song for a Winter's Night, In the Bleak Mid-winter, and Wintersong... Do you like the Crash Test Dummies? I actually really like their Xmas album...

Anonymous said...

Michael Buble's Christmas Album is really good and doesn't have too many songs so you won't get bored. The Bare Naked Ladies have a good one and you can't go wrong with Elvis. LYFE Nonna March

KHM said...

ahhh. Thanks very much, both of you. I'll march over to iTunes and check out some BNL, MB (I hate to spend money on him!) and the Crash Test Dummies.
Thanks, K for reminding me of that album. It always piqued my interest because I never really thought of them as a holiday kind of band. but I do like them. Thanks!

Drew said...

After my required viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation last night (probably my unofficial start to the Christmas season), what about Ray Charles?

kbmulder said...

I really love . . .
-Amy Grant-Home for Christmas
-Boney M-Happy Christmas (although I don't think it's on I-tunes)
-Elf Soundtrack
-Peter Paul & Mary-Holiday Celebration
-Anything Carpenters
-A Thistle & Shamrock Christmas (The NPR show with Fiona Richey)
-The Roches-We Three Kings (really neat folk group)

Most of these are older, but I thought I'd share in case they're not in your collection.

Anonymous said...

I love Amy Grant's Home for Christmas!! oh, oops, just saw someone else mentioned it above :-)

Lyman said...

Harry Connick's is a classic if you don't already have it.