Sunday, February 18, 2007

Over It


"Too Close for Comfort" -- Dianne Reeves (Good Night and Good Luck, 2005)
This will probably be my last jazz vocal post for a while but I wanted you to hear this because I like it a lot. The whole soundtrack is quite good and I'm glad I have it.
I'm over the bit about disappointing colleagues. Bring on the mornings of quiet coffee with Lindsay after the big girls are off to school. Bring on the knitting through the mid-morning with too long neglected friends and neighbors. Bring on the books that I've wanted to read but had to let go in favor of spending my limited quiet time on knitting. Bring on the towels folded, stacked neatly in the childrens'/guest bath. Bring on staying up late watching documentaries and weeks of Jon Stewart episodes with Rob without worry of being able to make it to my morning meetings. Bring on the guitar lessons. And maybe I'll take my time about all this stuff, too, and take some walks wearing my Thorlos, listening to tunes or podcasts. Maybe---I'll take singing lessons.






I love Keith Haring. I think he's not really sufficiently appreciated in the art world. There's something about his approach, the simplistic, iconic messaging that is just, to me, heartbreakingly honest and true... I love his roots beginnings, drawing on the papered over advertisements in the NYC Subway, his belief and comitment that the proper place for art is in public places. I've been thinking of my love for him lately because, well, I have a bunch of his images around the house (Haley's nursery theme was all Haring) and also because if you pay close attention, you will see an image of his "radiant baby" on a piece of plywood in the early scenes of Rent. The story is indeed set just at the time that Haring was doing his clandestine work around the city. There are lots of reasons to enjoy the film but its authenticity of the period, of the conditions and of the devastation wreaked by AIDS are certainly right at the top of the list.

If you ever get the chance, the Pop Shop is in SoHo and its full of great memorabilia--SNAP! I just found out they closed in 2005. Better still, look for his sculptures---there are plenty around NYC, Philly and even San Francisco, European cities, too. As much as I love his painting, its his sculpture that knocks me out most. I was very fortunate to have seen a very large exhibit of his work in Tampa, 1990, just before he died. It made a *huge* impression on me.
Knitting


How much do I love my new knitting bag? Even Rob is amused.

Especially because among its current contents are socks intended for his footsies. These are Charlene Schurch's basic sock, custom fit, from Regia something or other. I had thought the tweed pattern would be more apparent but its not. So they're a bit dull looking but I know they'll feel great.

Addendum: I just ripped these socks out entirely. They needed some serious adjustment and I wasn't very attached to them. Fiddle-dee-dee. Another day.
Plus, I keep going back to Franklin's blog (The Panopticon), to review his really amusing Valentine's Day post---thank you, Franklin for this:
Ten Alternative Ways to Say "I Love You" to a Knitter

1. The lady at the yarn shop said you like cashmere but she wasn't sure which color to suggest, so I just bought everything she had.

2. You shouldn't have to pull boxes out from under the bed every time you need to get a ball of yarn. Let me give you my closet.

3. Which would you prefer for vacation this year, sweetheart–New Zealand, the Shetland Islands or Rhinebeck?

4. Is that all you want? Why don't you have another look around in the sock yarn while I get out my credit card?

5. You look so hot when you're reading lace charts.

6. I can see you're counting, so I'll just make dinner, clean up afterwards, and put the kids to bed, so that when you're finished you won't have to wait for me to massage your hands. Okay?

7. Too much yarn? Don't be ridiculous. We can always add another room.

8. But, dearest, I think it would be silly for you to have only one spinning wheel.

9. It's called "Koigu." Do you like it? Is twenty pounds enough to make a sweater?

10. Put down those needles and come here, you sexy thing. One more row? Of course I'll wait.

10 comments:

Drew said...

I love the new knitting bag! Glad you are embracing the new direction in your life. It sounds cliche, but it isn't your job that defines who we are. Haley, Anna, and Lindsay define who you are and I'm sure they are going to enjoy having you around more. Besides that, I bet if you asked your coworkers, they would do the same thing you are doing if they could. I know if I could figure out a way to retire by 35 so I could spend more time with Layla and Julie, I would do it. :)

Special K said...

You had a Keith Haring baby room? That is SO. Awesome. Although, I have to disagree with you a bit about him not getting due respect in the art world - at least in my circles, his work is well respected. Have you heard of Takashi Murakami? His work owes a little something to Haring in terms of flatness, so I think you might like him.

And I also have to disagree with Drew up there about letting your kids define you - parents who allow themselves to be defined by their children are doing neither themselves nor their kids any favors. By being a strong, resourceful, intellegent woman with her own interests/goals/life, you'll show them how to grow up into great women as well.

Special K said...

PS - I saw a great retrospective of Haring at the SFMOMA in 1998 - it was great - they did a terrific job of combining the various elements/influences of his work - like, they played music and had a couple of dance things.

Drew said...

Kathy, sorry for the blog hijack. Kelly, before I had my daughter I might have completely agreed with you. Now I only partially agree with you. You are correct in that as parents, we do have to try and maintain our own lives and goals and hobbies, if only to maintain our sanity. After having kids though, your goals change somewhat. Before her, I would have told you that a big part of who I am was an engineer. While that is still true and I still have goals associated with that, I can stop being an engineer tomorrow. Being an engineer is what I do, but it isn't necessarily what defines me. However, I will always be Layla's dad. I can’t stop being her dad. What I would prefer define me is to know that I raised healthy, happy, successful children.

KHM said...

Thank you all for hijacking my blog; I'm happily surprised!

I think you're all correct, actually. Who I am will, to some degree, influence who my children grow to be. My experience of the world through and with them, will change parts of me.

But maybe its a matter of semantics here. I am a mother, of course (in all ways), so that's part of my "definition" but I'm also the same hysterically funny, information hungry, creative and loving, obnoxiously liberal person I've grown into over my life. I guess the important acknowledgement is that what begins now is a new chapter, one which will leave its mark on me as a person. Its one of my most favorite things about life---the constant growth and change that can, and should, occur. I'm not finished growing into me yet.

And Kelly, you could reasonably expect to find a Haring thing or two in your nephew's nursery over the next year or so. There are a couple of board books on the market that his Foundation licensed. Fun! What could be better for a baby's room than great, fun art that the Mommy and Daddy love? I wouldn't really recommend Basquiat, though...

And can we all believe that Lyman has never claimed his Mom as the incredible songwriter she is?

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
I have alway thought that the women's movement was, amoung other things, about choice, and I think you have made a great one. Drew's Mother stayed home with him and his siblings. While many would say she failed to live up to her potential, I say that she was accomplished much. In my mind her accomplisments meet or surpass what most of us ever do at our places of employment. I know for sure that she did more "work" than I ever did on my job. Good luck.

KHM said...

This is the issue I really struggle with---can a woman REALLY have an engrossing career, such as mine has been, and still really meet the needs of her family and household? And I'm fortunate because my husband is a genuine partner in these things...this is not true for some parenting couples.

For me I felt like I was just barely getting by with my parenting and household management, and I even had a GREAT nanny for much of the time who helped a lot. I think what I want my girls to learn is that sure, they get to choose. In fact, they may have to choose more than once in their lives: before kids and after each.

The best choice I've made: marrying Rob, who supports me through all my choices.

Lyman said...

There are plenty of good and successful people with screw-ups for kids. Their children's mistakes shouldn't define who they are. Besides if we all just think that our kids define us, then when are we ever truly defined? I mean my mom says I'm a success but how can we really know since I haven't been defined by my child yet? And what if you never have any kids?

I think letting yourself be defined by anyone else is risky.

Kathy's had plenty of academic and professional success. Those things are a part of what defines her as well as her gorgeous girls.

KHM said...

I think Lyman meant to say, "her gorgeous girls that look so much like their mother..."

So----how you guys liking this song? Ain't it great?

KHM said...

Donna, would you promise to never again mention "[my] teenage daugthers" and "humpin'" in the same sentence?