Saturday, January 30, 2010

What it Is

Did you guys watch the State of the Union? I can't imagine an address that was a bit more spot-0n in terms of tone, frustration and determination. What I dug especially, though, was that our President was explicit about his plans, the challenges he understands and what he is going to need from others to get things done. He fairly took the right to task for being divisive for its own sake, "

...And if the Republican leadership is going to insist that 60 votes in the Senate are required to do any business at all in this town -- a supermajority -- then the responsibility to govern is now yours as well. Just saying no to everything may be good short-term politics, but it's not leadership. We were sent here to serve our citizens, not our ambitions. So let's show the American people that we can do it together."
Another welcome and pointed remark resonated with what I perceive as non-stop and petty bickering:
"But what frustrates the American people is a Washington where every day is Election Day. We can't wage a perpetual campaign where the only goal is to see who can get the most embarrassing headlines about the other side -– a belief that if you lose, I win. Neither party should delay or obstruct every single bill just because they can. "
Perhaps its just my perception, but I really do NOT recall any other President being so heavily scrutinized and criticized in the first year---long before they're able to get their feet under themselves. But I would encourage you to catch it a YouTube or to read the transcript at WhiteHouse.gov. It was a brilliant, sober speech that demonstrated an amazing understanding of the breadth and depth of the challenges facing our people and our government. I was thrilled, thrilled I tell you, to hear of the aid being directed to college funding for students with finiancial need.

Otherwise
We're all well. I'm feeling a LOT better, hoping to get some cycling in this week if the snow gets cleared off the roads. The kids are healthy and doing well in school. What else can I say?

No comments: